UC Berkeley Chamber Chorus : : Spring 2017
Dr. Magen Solomon, Director
Information for returning and potential singers
Singers in the Chamber Chorus are expected to have advanced musicianship skills and significant vocal/choral experience, and to be passionately devoted to chamber choir singing.
Wed March 15, 12:15pm : Noontime Choral Collage Concert (Hertz Hall; with UC choirs)
Fri Apr 29, 8pm : Love and Longing (Hertz Hall)
Wed Jan 18, 5:30-7:30 pm (Hertz Hall)
Sunday 7-9 pm; Wed 5:30-7:30 pm (Hertz Hall)
“Choral Collage Concert”: selections from the April concert program
“Love and Longing”: From Finland to France, Bosnia to Broadway, an international mix of a cappella and accompanied repertoire. Works by Bartók, Berlin, Brahms, Debussy, Ellington, Hensel, Thompson, Rautavaara, with guest pianist, Jeffrey Sykes
Tues Jan 17 12-3:30pm and Wed Jan 18 1-4pm. However, if a student is absolutely unable to make any of these audition times, s/he should, nevertheless, attend the first rehearsal (Wed Jan 18, 5:30-7:30 pm, Hertz Hall).
Singers who participated in the Spring 2016 Chamber Chorus are accepted without an audition, but must sign up in an audition slot to be heard.
Audition scheduling: The signup sheet is in Morrison on the 1st-floor bulletin board under “Chamber Chorus” [Singers who participated in the Spring 2016 Chamber Chorus are accepted without an audition, but must sign up in an audition slot to be heard.]
>>Please arrive a few minutes early to fill out the necessary forms.
- Each audition will last 15 minutes; you will audition for Dr. Solomon alone
- you will be asked to:
- vocalize up and down
- sing and identify intervals
- sight-read several excerpts (without accompaniment)
- sing a prepared piece. I want to hear you at your best, so choose something which
- you know very well (it need not be memorized)
- displays the beauty of your voice, your musicality, diction, and your technical skills (rhythm, intonation, etc). A simple song, beautifully sung is vastly preferable to a difficult work which you have not mastered.
- Options: a hymn, Christmas carol, an art song, a folk song, your part from a choral work (2-3pp is sufficient). BRING TWO COPIES.
- The list of those accepted into the Chamber Chorus will be posted on Fri, Jan 20. on the Morrison 1st-floor bulletin board under “Chamber Chorus.”
NB: If you are absolutely unable to audition before the first rehearsal, please attend the first rehearsal anyway. However, it is very possible that all slots will have already been filled.