All students intending to major in music must follow the Music placement procedure (by either enrolling in Music 20A: Basic Musicianship or taking the Musicianship Placement Exam) before beginning music major classes. This procedure places students in the musicianship and harmony sequences, and determines whether supplemental classes in piano are recommended.
Note that the Musicianship Placement Exam is administered once before the beginning of each semester; it is mandatory for prospective music majors and students should plan their school break accordingly in order to attend.
Major Declaration Procedure
In declare the Music Major, prospective students must:
- Place into Music 52A or higher via the Musicianship Placement Exam, or enroll in Music 20A: Basic Musicianship.
- Submit the Music Major Application (the Intent to Declare form).
- Complete at least 3 required courses with a grade of C or above in each course. (Note: in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021, these courses may be taken PNP.) The 3 courses must represent 3 out of 4 different areas of study:
- Musicianship and Harmony (Music 52 and 53: Note that these two courses, together, are considered one area)
- Music History (Music 70)
- Musics of the World (Music 80)
- Performance Ensemble
Deadline to submit the major application: Wednesday of second week of instruction at 4pm.
An Undergraduate Orientation is held once before the beginning of each semester. The orientation reviews important information such as placement exams, major requirements, program planning, major resources, and student life. It is imperative that prospective music majors make every possible effort to attend.
Major Declaration Timeline:
In cases where students do not complete all declaration requirements in one semester, applications will be on hold until all declaration requirements are satisfied.
Generally, students who were admitted as freshman are expected to declare within a maximum of two years; transfer students are expected to declare by the end of their first semester.
Because intended music majors must receive a grade of C or higher in each required course, they will be officially accepted into the major following the end of the semester in which all declaration requirements are satisfied.
|If all declaration requirements are satisfied in…||Decision will be available by|
|Fall semester||Usually January of the following year|
|Spring semester||Usually June|
|Summer semester||Usually September|