Featuring the Music Department’s varied and diverse performance activities, the Department of Music presents a series of free weekly concerts each semester in Hertz Hall. Inaugurated in 1953, these concerts are very popular and well attended by those on campus and in the wider community. Traditionally on Wednesdays, each concert begins promptly at 12:15 and ends by 1pm.
Priority for the limited number of concert dates is given to Music Department majors, performing as soloists and in chamber groups. Department ensembles and faculty performers are regularly featured. Guest musicians occasionally perform new works by student and faculty composers. Auditions for the Noon Concert Series are held each semester for the following semester. We are no longer accepting applications from non-Music Majors until Morrison 125 has been renovated, giving us a new Recital Hall venue and opening up more potential performing opportunities.
Current Noon Concert Series: Calendar
Audition Application Form & Video deadline: Friday, December 1, 2023, 4:00PM
- With a few exceptions noted below, an audition video and an application form will be required for consideration for a Noon Concert.
- Application deadline: Friday, December 1, 2023, 4:00PM
- Open only to current Music Department majors, alumni and faculty. (Music Department Faculty are to coordinate concert requests directly with the Hertz Hall concert office.)
- PIANO SOLOISTS do not apply here. Eligibility will be determined by the piano faculty. For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- CLASSICAL CHAMBER GROUPS do not apply here. They must coordinate with the department Director of Chamber Music, Leighton Fong: Lfonganna@berkeley.edu
- Download noon concert audition form: Spring 2024 Noon Concert Application
- Upload your 10-minute audition video with representative excerpts of your program to the following Box Folder Link.
- Return the form to the Music Department office, 104 Morrison Hall. Forms may also be emailed directly to: HertzHallMgr@berkeley.edu.
The UC Berkeley Department of Music is committed to the health and safety of our patrons, students, faculty and staff. Measures to protect concertgoers and musicians will be informed by state, local, and University public health policies and are subject to change. Concerts and programming are subject to change.
If you require an accommodation for effective communication (ASL interpreting/CART captioning, alternative media formats, etc.) or information about campus mobility access features in order to fully participate in this event, please email the Hertz Hall Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with as much advance notice as possible and at least 7-10 days in advance of the event.
Information for Noon Concert performers
You will be notified shortly after the audition deadline if you have been awarded a concert. A date for your concert will be finalized by the Concert Office, with your consultation and with as much notice as possible.
Your concert will be advertised in the Music Department’s brochure and other publicity materials at the beginning of the semester, and you will have the opportunity for rehearsal time in the hall.
There will be a printed program, for which you can provide program notes and a biography. You will be contacted about these and other details by the Concert Manager.
If you have any questions regarding the noon concerts, please contact the Hertz Hall Manager at <email@example.com>