Information for Transfer Students

Potential Transfer Students

Lower-division requirements for the Music major (Music 70, 80, and 90) are not transferable from other colleges and universities and must be taken at UC Berkeley. However, to better prepare for music studies at UC Berkeley, we recommend that transfer students take post-secondary courses in:

  • Music Theory
  • Musicology
  • Ethnomusicology
  • Performance
  • Other areas based on individual interest and availability (e.g. composition, music technology and production, music education, etc.)

Transfer Advising

All new transfer students are required to participate in the online orientation Golden Bear Advising (GBA), organized by New Student Services. GBA typically takes place in June for Fall admits and October for Spring admits. As part of GBA, the Undergraduate Advisor will host an online major orientation webinar. Students should plan to attend the webinar and complete all advising assignments before scheduling individual advising appointments.

Registering for classes

At the end of the online orientation (GBA), new transfer students should register for:

  • Music 70 (History of Music)
  • Music 80 (Studies of Musics of the World) – Spring admits only
  • Music 90 (Making Music)
  • Other upper-division courses as appropriate, including performance ensembles