NOTE: Audition Information is for Fall 2023 only (Chamber Chorus – Music 145, University Chorus – Music 144, Golden Bear Voices, Music 167B/168B, and Music 14). Please check back in early January for Spring 2024 auditions.
Membership in Chamber Chorus, University Chorus, and Golden Bear Voices is by audition only, and is open to Berkeley students as well as community members. Auditions are held every fall and spring at the beginning of each semester.
Important for Returning Members ONLY: Complete ALL MANDATORY STEPS HERE (and check if you need to re-audition). We expect ALL returning members to have checked this list BEFORE attending the first rehearsal – failure to do so will cause members to lose their spot in their respective ensemble, regardless of enrollment status.
Before the Audition:
- Read ALL info carefully in this INFO PACKET (saving this link or downloading the packet is highly recommended):
- Ensembles: Chamber Chorus, University Chorus, and Golden Bear Voices (pages 2-3)
- Private Voice Lesson Program: Music 168B and Music 167B (page 4)
- Vocal Technique Class – Group Lessons: Music 14 (page 4)
- Fill out an audition form HERE.
- Note: An understanding of what the choral program offers (see info packet above) is essential to filling out the form and having a smooth audition process.
- Sign up for a time slot (no walk-ins allowed) – a link will be provided in a confirmation email upon submission of the audition form.
In-Person Audition (held Wed. 8/23 ~ Fri. 8/25):
- All in-person auditions are held in Morrison 265.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your audition time.
- Each audition will last 10 minutes. Singers will be asked to:
- Vocalize and sing scales with the director to demonstrate their range.
- Sight-read one or more short musical excerpts to determine musical ear and sight-reading skills.
- Chamber Chorus, Golden Bear Voices, and Music 167B/168B ONLY: Perform a prepared song (Ex: aria, art song, folk song, hymn, or other appropriate selection) of your choice, either with accompaniment or a cappella. An accompanist will be provided.
- Bring 2 extra copies of the sheet music for the accompanist and the director.
- If you are absolutely unable to audition before the first rehearsal (see list below), please email Jennifer Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOTE – University Chorus only: Based on your audition, we may require you to also enroll in Music 14 (Vocal Technique Class, W 5-6pm) in order to participate in the chorus. See Info Packet to learn more about Music 14.
Audition results will be emailed and posted on the main floor Morrison bulletin board by 3pm on Mon. 8/28 – please wait until then before inquiring.
NOTE: Due to auditions, rehearsals start the week of August 28:
- Chamber Chorus: first rehearsal on Mon. 8/28, 5:00pm – Hertz Hall
- Fa23 Update: Note new schedule, not 5:30pm
- University Chorus: first rehearsal on Tues. 8/29, 5:00pm – Hertz Hall
- First sectional on Wed. 8/30, 4:00pm – Morrison 124 and 125
- Golden Bear Voices: first rehearsal on Mon. 8/28, 4:00pm – Morrison 117
- Fa23 Update: GBV now rehearses on Mondays instead of Wednesdays
- We are following UC Berkeley campus COVID guidelines.
- For auditions/rehearsals (subject to change with school requirements):
- Masks indoors are not required, but you may wear them if you wish
- Proof of vaccination and booster