NOTE: Audition Information is for Spring 2023 only (Chamber Chorus – Music 145, University Chorus – Music 144, Golden Bear Voices, Music 167B/168B, and Music 14).
Membership in Chamber Chorus, University Chorus, and Golden Bear Voices is by audition only, and is open to Berkeley students as well as community members. Auditions are held every fall and spring at the beginning of each semester.
Important for Returning Members: Check if you need to re-audition HERE.
Before the Audition:
- Read ALL info carefully in this INFO PACKET (saving this link or downloading the packet is highly recommended):
- Ensembles: Chamber Chorus, University Chorus, and Golden Bear Voices (pages 2-3)
- Private Voice Lesson Program: Music 168B and Music 167B (page 4)
- Vocal Technique Class – Group Lessons: Music 14 (page 4)
- Fill out an audition form HERE.
- Note: An understanding of what the choral program offers (see info packet above) is essential to filling out the form and having a smooth audition process.
- Sign up for a time slot (no walk-ins allowed) – a link will be provided in a confirmation email upon submission of the audition form.
In-Person Audition (held Tues. 1/17 ~ Fri. 1/20):
- All in-person auditions are held in Morrison 265.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your audition time.
- Each audition will last 10 minutes. Singers will be asked to:
- Vocalize and sing scales with the director to demonstrate their range.
- Sight-read one or more short musical excerpts to determine musical ear and sight-reading skills.
- Chamber Chorus, Golden Bear Voices, and Music 167B/168B ONLY: Perform a prepared song (Ex: aria, art song, folk song, hymn, or other appropriate selection) of your choice, either with accompaniment or a cappella. An accompanist will be provided.
- Bring 2 extra copies of the sheet music for the accompanist and the director.
- If you are absolutely unable to audition before the first rehearsal (see list below), please email Jennifer Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NOTE – University Chorus only: Based on your audition, we may require you to also enroll in Music 14 (Vocal Technique Class, W 5-6pm) in order to participate in the chorus. See Info Packet to learn more about Music 14.
- We may also offer this to select University Chorus members as free voice lessons, in lieu of Music 167B.
- Music 14 is not Music 44 (Voice Class), which is a separate course and has its own auditions/requirements.
Audition results will be emailed and posted on the main floor Morrison bulletin board by 4pm on Mon. 1/23 – please wait until then before inquiring.
NOTE: Due to auditions, rehearsals start the week of January 23:
- Chamber Chorus: first rehearsal on Mon. 1/23, 5:30pm – Hertz Hall
- University Chorus: first rehearsal on Tues. 1/24, 5:00pm – Hertz Hall
- First sectional on Wed. 1/25, 4:00pm – Morrison 124 and 125
- Golden Bear Voices: first rehearsal on Wed. 1/25, 4:00pm – Morrison 250
- We are following UC Berkeley campus COVID guidelines and masking requirements.
- For auditions/rehearsals (subject to change with school requirements):
- Masks indoors are not required, but you may wear them if you wish
- Proof of vaccination and booster
If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Liu, Assistant Conductor at email@example.com and Dr. Wei Cheng, Music Director at firstname.lastname@example.org,